25 April 1781
— First Line Of Defense —On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg formed his first line of 500 Virginia militia here to meet the British. The line extended along East Street from the Appomattox River to present-day Washington Street and consisted of two infantry regiments. Maj. Gen. William Phillips' 2,500-man army, including one Light Infantry battalion and the 76th and 80th Regiments of Foot, struck the Americans here. After several assaults and the deployment of four British cannon, the militia withdrew westward, through Blandford (then a separate town), across Lieutenant Run, and on to Madison Street in eastern Petersburg.
|Marker Number||QA 23|
|Placed By||Department of Historic Resources|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 8:18am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 287985 N 4123585|
|Decimal Degrees||37.23470000, -77.39000000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 14.082', W 77° 23.4'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 14' 4.92" N, 77° 23' 24.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||804, 434, 757|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 845-865 E Bank St, Petersburg VA 23803, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.