This depot was built in 1916 replacing a smaller wooden structure that was destroyed when two engines collided in front of it. Constructed of red, wire cut brick with white sandstone trim, the depot was very modern for its time, boasting both a men's and women's waiting room, a spacious station agent's office and a large freight room with "warm room" attached. The tracks to the north of the depot were part of the original Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie line, that later became known as the Soo line.
Rivers, Rails & Trails Logo
This is one of many interpretive signs in the River, Rails & Trails Heritage Area, a project funded in part by a Heritage Tourism grant from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism.