Charles City County, VirginiaThis intersection of the Old Main Road, or Ridgepath, and the road from Soanes Bridge to Kennons, derives its name from an eighteenth-century tavern owned by the Blanks family. Blanks Tavern was one of a few licensed ordinaries in colonial Charles City County. Other landmarks have included an Oldfield school, Manoah Baptist Church (1848 - 1933) and the first Methodist Meeting House (est. 1791), also known as Charles City Chapel. Prominent area homes have included Ballardsville and Sunnyside, the home of Charles City County physician Dr. Gideon Christian. Soldiers Rest, the home of Revolutionary War soldier "Fighting Joe Christian," was also located in this vicinity. Area resident Lemuel E. Babcock was Charles City County's delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1867 and William Page, a freedman, became a major landowner here in the years after the Civil War.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 6:28pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 322476 N 4138104|
|Decimal Degrees||37.37270000, -77.00490000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 22.362', W 77° 0.294'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 22' 21.72" N, 77° 0' 17.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 202 State Rte 614, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.