Batteries 35-38You are facing Battery 37 in the 10-mile-long Confederate defensive line constructed between 1862 and 1864 east and south of Petersburg. Named the Dimmock Line for supervising engineer Capt. Charles H. Dimmock, it consisted of trenches linking 55 earthen forts and batteries. Four batteries—35 to 38—still remain here in present-day Lee Park. From east to west, the first is Battery 35, built for 9 guns in Bailey's Woods on high ground east of present-day Willcox Lake. After the Army of Northern Virginia occupied it in June 1864, it was named Fort Walker for 3rd Corps Chief of Artillery Col. (later Gen.) Reuben L. Walker. Across the lake on the next high ground is Battery 36, sustaining 7 artillery pieces. Beyond it farther west is Battery 37, built "in Capt. Banks' Field" for 8 guns. It was named Battery Pegram in honor of artillery Col. William R.J. Pegram, who was later mortally wounded in the Battle of Five Forks on April 1, 1865. Battery 38 stands a short distance west.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 8:34pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 286234 N 4119821|
|Decimal Degrees||37.20040000, -77.40865000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 12.024', W 77° 24.519'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 12' 1.44" N, 77° 24' 31.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||804, 434|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1800 Baylors Ln, Petersburg VA 23805, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|