This was once the site of a small, bustling, waterfront community typical of many others in Kewaunee County. By the mid-1800's, as large numbers of settlers moved into the rural areas of the newly formed county, efficient transportation became a necessity. Since an overland transportation system was practically nonexistent, the settlers turned to Lake Michigan and the Bay of Green Bay.
Numerous piers were constructed along the shoreline with stores, sawmills, blacksmith shops, hotels, post offices, cheese factories, and other business enterprises as well as residential dwellings and warehouses. Sailboats and steamers transported forest products and later agricultural products to markets in Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Chicago. Incoming ships brought needed goods as well as passengers and news from the outside world. Gradually, as roads and railroad lines were constructed and with the advent of automobiles and trucks, the piers ceased to be needed. For a time, remnants were visible, but over the years, they too have virtually disappeared.