The Russell House was built in 1912 by Richard Brevard Russell, Sr., B. 1861 - D. 1838, and his wife, Ina Dillard, B. 1868 - D. 1953, who were married June 24, 1891. Fifteen children were born of this marriage. Judge Russell was elected Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Georgia in 1922, and served in this capacity until his death. Mrs. Russell was Georgia's Mother of the year in 1950. In 1954, the late Senator Richard B. Russell, Jr., the oldest son, became the owner of the house and made it his home until his death in 1971. Russell Memorial Park and Cemetery is located to the South of the house.