On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
The construction of Park's Mill is thought to be contemporary with the creation of Morgan County by act of the Georgia Legislature in 1807. It was created on the banks of the Oconee River on land that was intermittently part of Greene County and Morgan Counties, as the county boundary in this area shifted several times during the 19th century. In 1839, it is identified as being in Morgan County, and it is known as Parks Bridge. Then in 1919 it appears located in Greene County, identified as Parks Ferry.
In addition to the grist mill and the ferry, Park's Mill was the location of the Park family home, which also served as general store, tavern and inn for travelers along this route. Around the turn of the century it was a Post Office site, although records suggest that the site was known as Riverside given its location on the banks of the Oconee River. In the 19th century this was a significant early route for traffic between Greene and Morgan Counties, but by the 1930s the mill and dam had collapsed. The house was relocated to Woods Road in Morgan County at the time that Lake Oconee was created, where it is identified by another historical marker.
Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Park's Mill is recognized as a significant part of our county history