Siege HeadquartersLt. Col. Walter H. Taylor, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's aide, established Lee's headquarters here at Violet Bank on June 17, 1864, at the beginning of the siege of Petersburg. The city, protected by Confederate defensive works to the east and south, remained connected to Richmond, the Confederate capital, via the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad as well as the Manchester and Petersburg Turnpike. Violet Bank was located near each transportation route, enabling Lee to travel quickly to Richmond to confer with Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who also visited Lee here. While at Violet Bank, Lee learned of the explosion that began the Battle of The Crater on July 30, 1864, and rushed to the front to direct the Confederate counterattack. Lee spent a good deal of time north of the James River at Chaffin's Bluff after August 15, but maintained his headquarters here until October 28, when he moved to another location in Petersburg. Union troops occupied Violet Bank briefly after Lee evacuated Petersburg on April 2-3. 1865.
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 11th, 2014 at 1:58pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 286657 N 4124396|
|Decimal Degrees||37.24170000, -77.40520000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 14.502', W 77° 24.312'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 14' 30.12" N, 77° 24' 18.72" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 223 Virginia Ave, Colonial Heights VA 23834, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.