Est. 1851The first internment in the Amador City Cemetery was 1851 with the last being in 1892. There are many more graves than indicated by the marble headstones. Some graves were never marked and others utilized hand carved wooden markers. During the 1950's period, the City hired a person to clear the cemetery of weeds and brush. Albeit this was pre-weed eaters, but the person opted for the more speedy method of clearing the cemetery by the use of fire. In the process, all the wooden markers were destroyed. Note the very rocky ground. This precluded digging graves and frequently dynamite was used. Prior to the erection of the curb and fence in approximately 1915, soil would wash down from Church Street (The Methodist Church was on the corner of Church Street and O'Neil Alley north west of the cemetery) and that caused a collection of dirt which partially covered some of the headstones on the NW section.
|Placed By||The City of Amador City|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 8:43pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 689855 N 4254643|
|Decimal Degrees||38.41988333, -120.82523333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 25.193', W 120° 49.514'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 25' 11.58" N, 120° 49' 30.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 14461 Church St, Amador City CA 95601, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.