Nearby, on Nov. 1, 1852, the first Virginia & Tennessee Railroad train arrived in Big Lick (now Roanoke), three years after the company had been incorporated. The track from Lynchburg, Virginia to Bristol, Tennessee, was completed in 1856. In 1870, the railroad combined with the Southside and the Norfolk & Petersburg railroads to form the Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad, which became the Norfolk & Western Railroad in 1881. During the 1880s, Roanoke became a rail center. Numerous railroad facilities were located here, including locomotive and rail car manufacturing plants, roundhouses, a large freight yard, a passenger station and the headquarters of Norfolk & Western (1881-1982).