Park, formerly called York Street Park, was re-named for longtime Lambertville City Clerk (1948-1982) and Mayor (1983-1988). Park was established in 1900 when Civil War Monument, dedicated in 1870 was moved from Mount Hope Cemetery to this location. Inscribed on the marble obelisk are names of 55 local Union soldiers who lost their lives, and significant battles in which local men participated.
The 8 inch cannon was converted from an 11 inch cannon during the early part of the war and saw action aboard wooden first-class screw sloop, USS Richmond, in Battles of Vicksburg, Mobile, and New Orleans. Barrel is 14 feet long, and gun and carriage weigh 24,800 pounds.
Pyramid of mortar shells, fourteen 15 inch shells, weighing 480 pounds each, was placed here in 1908, as was gun and carriage.
The 2-story stone building (circa 1840) served as Lamberville's jail until 1966. Gazebo was constructed in early 1970's.
Samuel C. Worman, Local Businessman, donated funds for memorial fountain, erected in 1917, just outside the park.