Lake George Battlefield ParkLake George played an important role throughout the American Revolution as a transportation route, staging area and outpost. In December 1775, as some American troops were ferried north during their abortive invasion of Canada, Colonel Henry Knox's train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga crossed Lake George bound for Boston. A hospital and shipbuilding facility built by the Americans at the south end of the lake were captured by Burgoyne's advancing army in 1777. In response, a small flotilla commanded by Colonel John Brown unsuccessfully attacked a British depot on Diamond Island on September 24, 1777.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 10:04am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 604613 N 4807927|
|Decimal Degrees||43.41693333, -73.70776667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 25.016', W 73° 42.466'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 25' 0.96" N, 73° 42' 27.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 75 Fort George Road, Lake George NY 12845, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.