Walking Tour Stop 14In 1827, a German Reformed congregation built a stone church at this location. At the time, a Methodist congregation was housed in a church on Church Alley. The location was not ideal due to boisterous behavior in the alley during church services and "offensive" odors coming from nearby stables. In 1833, the Methodist congregation decided to find a more suitable building and purchased the stone church. In addition to regular church services, the church was used for the matriculation, baccalaureate and commencement services of Dickinson College. When tensions arose within the congregation, a college-oriented group withdrew from the church and formed a second Methodist congregation.
|Placed By||Historic Carlisle, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 12:16pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 313497 N 4452432|
|Decimal Degrees||40.20156667, -77.19126667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 12.094', W 77° 11.476'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 12' 5.64" N, 77° 11' 28.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 50 W High St, Carlisle PA 17013, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.