Central Pacific RailroadSince the days of Sutter's Fort, Sacramento was the trading center for much of the Central Valley, the Sierra Nevada and points beyond. As the railroad network around the capital city expanded, Sacramento merchants were able to market a greater volume and range of goods over a larger area. Each day crates, barrels and sacks covered the Freight Depot as the ever increasing flow of shipments made it one of the busiest places in the city. But by evening, the large open deck was cleared. The Central Pacific first built a freight depot on this site in 1864. Initially, most items crossing the platform were supplies and materials bound from Sacramento to the Central Pacific crews who were building the Transcontinental Railroad eastward. The amount of freight passing through the depot increased as Sacramento wholesalers began shipping groceries and manufactured goods to isolated towns along the line. Business was especially brisk and profitable to Virginia City, Gold Hill and the Nevada Comstock Lode.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 at 8:20pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 630117 N 4271511|
|Decimal Degrees||38.58255000, -121.50611667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.953', W 121° 30.367'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 57.18" N, 121° 30' 22.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||415, 916, 209, 714|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 190 Front St, Sacramento CA 95814, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.