This boulder marks the
beginning of the Three-Chopt Road
The British Legion under Command of Lieutenant Colonel Tarleton, passed over this road in June, 1781, when returning from the raid upon Charlottesville. Along the intersecting River Road, Earl Cornwallis led his force from the Point of Fork. The two forces united in the vicinity of this site, and entered Richmond. On June 20, 1781, Cornwallis evacuated Richmond, and marched toward Williamsburg.
An old road is the soul of the past
Erected by the County supervisors
at the request of Commonwealth Chapter, D.A.R.