West Sacramento River WalkThis is the historic site of the first salmon cannery established on the Pacific Coast. Begun in 1864 by William and George Hume and Andrew Hapgood on a barge moored to the bank, the cannery processed salmon harvested along the rivers - with gill nets and spears - as they migrated up the Sacramento and American Rivers. In comparison, most of today's salmon are harvested in the ocean before they begin to migrate back up stream.
|Placed By||City of West Sacramento|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 4:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 629884 N 4271568|
|Decimal Degrees||38.58310000, -121.50878333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.986', W 121° 30.527'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 59.16" N, 121° 30' 31.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||916, 530|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 651 2nd St, West Sacramento CA 95605, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.