Founded in 1902 by William M. Hubbard, STAC was one of the state's official schools for the instruction of black teachers between 1931 and 1938. Originally named the Forsyth Normal and Industrial School, STAC was one of three black public colleges added to the University System of Georgia in 1932. Teachers from rural county school systems came to STAC to earn their teaching certificates. After closing in 1939, the school re-opened later that year as the Hubbard Training School, Monroe County's first black high school. New construction on this campus, begun in 1955, housed the Hubbard Elementary and High School and, in 1970, the Hubbard Elementary School.