Across Lake Marburg on the northern horizon lie the Pigeon Hills, once inhabited by thousands of passenger pigeons. The monument at the top of the knoll replaces the original Boy Scout Memorial erected in the Pigeon Hills in 1947. The original memorial was destroyed in 1981. It was rededicated September 12, 1982, and reads as follows:
In the interest of the preservation of wildlife we here dedicate this memorial to the ill-fated passenger pigeon which from earliest pioneer days until the 1880s flocked to these Pigeon Hills. This migratory bird, now extinct, was once so plentiful its numbers darkened the skies.
Dedicated Sunday, October 12, 1947, By the Boy Scouts of America Conewago District of the York - Adams Area Council.