By deed dated Oct. 7, 1750, Richard and Thomas Penn conveyed the land upon which Herndon is located to Conrad Weiser for negotiating the Treaty of 1749 with the Indians.
In 1850, the Trevorton, Mahanoy and Susquehanna Railway Co. erected a railroad from Trevorton to Trevorton Junction and the Susquehanna and Union Bridge Co. erected a bridge across the Susquehanna River to the Pa. Canal at Port Trevorton. Both were in operation by 1854. It is alleged that the bridge was as far north as the Confederate cavalry scouts came during the Civil War in reconnaissance of the area.
In 1857, the Northern Central Railway Co. constructed a railroad from Harrisburg to Tervorton Junction joining the railroad to Trevorton to transport the coal.
On Dec. 9, 1857, the post office was established at Trevorton Junction and named Herndon post office.
On the 31st day of March 1902, after a year of controversy the courts of North'd Co. signed a decree establishing the Borough of Herndon.