— Wilson - Kautz Raid —In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. Kautz's force passed here on June 23 on the way to Burkeville. Wilson's force, close behind, destroyed three warehouses containing cotton as well as railroad track, ties, and other supplies here. Before leaving, Wilson was given incorrect directions by a local citizen who sent him on the Hungarytown Road several miles away from the main rail line, which was along the Court House Road. Former Congressman and Gen. Roger Atkinson Pryor, a native of Nottoway County, was riding with Gen. W.H.F. "Rooney" Lee's cavalry when it arrived here. Pryor directed the Confederates to a shortcut at Hardy's Fork to allow Lee's cavalry to get in front of Wilson. The two forces collided just a few miles east of Nottoway Court House as Wilson tried to regain the road.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 5:29am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 233653 N 4108101|
|Decimal Degrees||37.08138333, -77.99628333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 4.883', W 77° 59.777'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 4' 52.98" N, 77° 59' 46.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||434, 804|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101 Tavern St, Blackstone VA 23824, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.