— Historic Underground Railroad —
Methodism was known in Chillicothe as early as 1796. During the early years, 1803-1821, both African American and white Methodists worshipped together in a small brick church, located on the north side of Second Street between Paint and Walnut Streets. This was the first Methodist Church in Chillicothe. Although the African American and white Methodists worshipped and communed together, the African American Methodists were required to occupy the gallery on the north side of the church and were also the last to receive the sacrament of communion. The African American members did not feel they enjoyed equal rights and privileges with their white brethren, although they contributed their share to the spiritual, physical, and financial support of the church.
In 1821 the African American members, led by Rev. Peter James, left the church and formed their own congregation. Rev. William Paul Quinn, who later became Bishop Quinn, organized the new church. Founding members of the church included Peter James (counselor in the Anti-Slavery Society), Harry Hitt,
Edward Jackson, Thomas Woodson, Adam Brown, Perry Cowan, Burrell Curtland, Jacob Butcher, George Amos, Ira Ellis, Moses Freeman, Rodger Williams, Elisha Coleman, Edward Brown, and their wives, along with Fanny Diamet, James White, Willie Washington, and Elsey Brown. Thomas Woodson and his family and other members were operators in the Underground Railroad. The congregation placed itself under the leadership of Rev. Richard Allen, of Philadelphia PA and became known as Allenites. Eventually the congregation became known as the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Their first brick building was erected in 1857 at the present location under the administration of Rev. Samuel Watts. By now the congregation was called Quinn Chapel A.M.E. Church. The present building was constructed in 1910 under the pastorate of Rev. W. E. Walker. The Chillicothe congregation is the oldest A.M.E. church in Ohio and the first A.M.E. church organized west of the Allegheny Mountains.