"The campaign became quite scientific, so that after the first few weeks, we learned to tell by the sound the nature of every missile that passed over us, and knew which ones to dodge. The mortar shells had the most terror for us. The ordinary field-pieces or siege-guns that threw shells directly through the air did not disturb us much, as we lay behind our breastworks."
Theodore Gerrish, 20th Maine Infantry
In front of you are just some of the types of cannon used in the Civil War. Some are bronze, some iron. Some are rifled - they fired conical shells. Others are smoothbore - they fired the traditional cannonball. Some had a range of nearly two miles (one could fire more than five miles); others could throw a shell only 1,000 yards.
The projectiles fired by these cannon ranged in weight from six to 65 pounds.
(Numbered tags to each cannon on display, referenced on the photograph):
Ranges given are typical, not maximum (one mile = 1,760 yards)
(1) Union 12-pounder Napoleon, bronze. Range 1,200 yds.
(2) Confederate 12-pounder Napoleon, bronze. Range 1,200 yards.
(3) Confederate 12-pounder field howitzer, iron. Range 1,000 yds.
(4) Austrian 6-pounder field gun, bronze. Range 1,000 yds.
(5) Union 12-pounder howitzer, bronze. Range 1,070 yds.
(6) Union 24-pounder Dahlgren boat howitzer, bronze. Range 1,300 yds.
(7) Union 24-pounder howitzer, bronze. Range 1,270 yds. Note battle damage.
(8) Union 32-pdr howitzer, bronze. Range 1,500 yds.
(9) Union 6-pdr (2.6") Wiard, iron. Range 1,000 yds.
(10) Confederate 3" rifle, bronze. Range 2,000 yds. Note battle damage.
(11) Union 14-pounder James rifle, bronze. Range 2,000 yds.
(12) Confederate 3" rifle, iron. Range 3,000 yds.
(13) Union 3" ordnance rifle, iron. Range 2,800 yds.
(14) Union 10-pounder Parrott rifle, iron. Range 3,200 yds.
(15) British 12-pounder muzzleloading Whitworth rifle, iron. Range 8000 yds.
(16) British 12-pounder breechloading Whitworth rifle, iron. Range 10,000 yds.
(17) Union 30-pounder Parrott Rifle, iron. Range 6,000 yds.
(18) Union 8" siege & garrison howitzer, iron. Range 2,200 yds.
(19) Union Navy 32-pounder, iron. Range 1,700 yds.
(20) Union 8" seige & garrison howitzer, iron. Range 2,200 yds.