Established by Act of Congress approved February 11, 1895 by which the Secretary of War was authorized to receive all lands and improvements which belonged to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, a corporation chartered by the State of Pennsylvania 1864 to acquire other lands on the Battlefield for the purposes of the Park (not exceeding in area the parcels shown on the map prepared by Major-Gen Daniel E. Sickles U.S.A. and then on file in the office of the Secretary of War) which subject to the supervision and direction of the Secretary of War should be in charge of the Commissioners theretofore appointed by him under Act of Congress approved March 3 1893 and their successors.
The Commissioners were directed to ascertain and definitely mark the lines of battle of all troops engaged in the battle of Gettysburg within the limits of the Park or adjacent thereto subject to the approval of the Secretary of War.
522 1/4 acres of land were conveyed by the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association to the United States pursuant to the act of 1895.
The Secretaries of War under whose approval the work has been done were Daniel S. Lamont, Russell A. Alger, Elihu Root, and Wm. H. Taft.
The Commissioners were Lieut. Colonel John P. Nicholson, Chairman, Penna., John B. Bachelder, Mass. and Brig-General Wm. H. Forney, Alabama appointed by the Secretary of War under the Act approved March 3, 1893. General Forney died January 16 1894, Major Wm. M. Robbins of North Carolina was appointed March 13 1894. Mr. Bachelder died December 22, 1894. Major Charles A. Richardson of New York was appointed April 25, 1895. Major Robbins died May 3, 1905. Major-Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax of Virginia was appointed May 17, 1905.
Lieut. Colonel E. B. Cope, Engineer S. Aug. Hammond Asst.-Engineer, Hays W. Mattern Draughtsman.