Madison Hall

Madison Hall (HM95D)

Location: Port Republic, VA 24471 Rockingham County
Country: United States of America

N 38° 17.64', W 78° 49.212'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 309 views
Inscription

Homesite scene of colonial settlement, Civil War clash

The crest of the hill was the site of Madison Hall, built in the mid-1700s for John Madison, the first Court Clerk of Augusta County, which originally included this area of Rockingham County within its frontier boundaries. In response to the presence of unfriendly Indians in the area during the French and Indian War, he built a fortified structure on the corner of the property. Madison's son, James, would become president of William and Mary College in 1777 and the first Bishop of the Episcopal Church in Virginia in 1785. John Madison's cousin was the father of another James Madison who would become President of the United States.

In June 1862, Madison Hall had become the home of Dr. George W. Kemper, Sr. and was serving as Confederate general Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's headquarters. On the morning of June 8, as Jackson prepared for a quiet Sabbath, he was confronted with an emergency. Advance Union raiders had surprised the ill-disciplined Confederate pickets and entered Port. Jackson galloped through the village, pausing at the church on Main Street to admonish one of his staff for cursing. He slipped across the covered bridge on North River with moments to spare, rallied his forces on the far shore, and pushed them into the village to rout the invaders.

As Col. Samuel Sprigg Carroll's Union cavalry charged up Main Street, a skirmish developed. Here on the grounds of Madison Hall, two dozen infantrymen and some raw artillery recruits, under the heroic direction of Confederate Capt. Samuel J.C. Moore, made a brief, brave stand that protected the army's valuable wagon trains and herds of cattle spread behind the house. There is no reliable casualty list from the skirmish, but area diaries recall the excitement, pandemonium, and heroics as civilians sought safety and the Yankees were driven from the village.

In June 1864, Madison Hall was occupied by Union general David Hunter and his staff while their squads were detailed to destroy industries in Port Republic. It served as the residence of four generations of the Kemper family until it was sold in 1908.
Details
HM NumberHM95D
Tags
Year Placed1999
Placed BySociety of Port Republic Preservationists, Inc. in cooperation with Shenandoaha Battlefield National Historic District Commission. Installation by the Port Republic Ruritan Club
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, October 3rd, 2014 at 5:02am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17S E 690624 N 4240683
Decimal Degrees38.29400000, -78.82020000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 17.64', W 78° 49.212'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 17' 38.40" N, 78° 49' 12.72" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)540
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 11677-11739 State Rte 605, Port Republic VA 24471, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?