The Bedford Springs Historic District consists of a mineral springs resort established c.1806 by Dr. John Anderson. The district's oldest extant buildings are the stone Nawgel's Mill, c.1796, and the log Miller's House, c.1800. In 1804, Nawgel sold his mill to Anderson; the building was later used as part of a mineral water bottling plant. The resort's main structure is actually a series of contiguous historical buildings dating from 1806 to 1905, which collectively compose a singular, outstanding example of resort architecture in the Greek Revival, Classical Revival, and Queen Anne styles. Called a "palace in the wilderness" by one 19th century writer, the buildings accommodated guests who came to partake of the health-giving mineral waters of the seven springs on the property.
The grounds at Bedford Springs included the "Springs Circuit," a trail that linked the seven mineral springs and traversed the trout waters of Shober's Run, a tributary of the Juniata River. The resort's golf course, developed c.1896 by Spencer Oldham, was later renovated by A. W. Tillinghast in 1912 and Donald Ross in 1923.