At the time of the battle [of Brandywine], Gideon Gilpin, a Quaker farmer, lived here with his wife and six children. Gideon Gilpin owned 130 acres of farm land. After the battle, foraging soldiers plundered the property. The claim of losses filed by Gilpin included 10 "milch" cows, a yoke of oxen, 48 sheep, 28 swine, 12 tons of hay, 230 bushels of wheat, 50 pounds of bacon, a history book, and a gun.
With the farm devastated and unsustainable, Gilpin converted his home into a tavern to support his family. Their tavern was operated from 1778 to 1789 and provided meals, drink, and sleeping space for travelers along the Great Nottingham Road. Today, the Gideon Gilpin house appears much as it was in 1777.
For more information on the Battle of Brandywine please visit our Visitor Center. Our hours are Tues.-Sat., 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sunday, Noon to 4:30 p.m. Tours of the houses are offered on a regular basis throughout the day. Tickets can be purchased only at the Visitor Center. Call for tour schedule information and reservations at (610) 459-3342.