This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1857 for Benjamin Dudley Culp (1821-1885) and his wife Cornelia Meng Culp (1830-1888). Culp, a Union merchant, owned stores on Main Street with partners J.T. Hill and H.L. Goss from the 1850s through the 1870s. In early 1861 the "Johnson Rifles," a volunteer company soon to become a Confederate company in the 5th S.C. Infantry, received its silk flag in a ceremony here. The flag in now (2006) in the Union County Museum.
In 1876, Gen. Wade Hampton, running for governor, made a campaign speech from the second-story portico. The house passed to the Beaty family through B.D. Culp's daughter Cornelia C. Beaty (1864-1892), wife of William T. Beaty (1864-1944). This house, which features massive fluted Doric columns and a full width two-story portico with large brackets and a pierced blaustrade, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.