First Transcontinental RailroadCentral Pacific Railroad reached Colfax, formerly Illinoistown September 1, 1865, and train service began four days later. Colfax was a vital construction supply depot and junction point for stage lines for ten months. It was renamed Governor Stanford in honor of Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives and later Ulysses S. Grant's Vice President. The real assault on the Sierra began here.
|Series||This marker is part of the Transcontinental Railroad series|
|Placed By||The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with The Conference of California Historical Societies and The Placer County Historical Society, May 9, 1969|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 3:29pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 677041 N 4329889|
|Decimal Degrees||39.10018333, -120.95265000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 6.011', W 120° 57.159'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 6' 0.66" N, 120° 57' 9.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-194 Grassvalley St, Colfax CA 95713, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.