From 1865During the war between the states Carrollton was spared a bloody battle but she sustained four raids by Union troops. The last raid occurred 15 days after the surrender at Appomattox when troops commended by Union General John Croxton, returning from a raid on Tuscaloosa, camped 2 miles west of Carrollton on the night of 25 April 1865 On the morning of 25 April the Union troops pillaged the little town and burned buildings on the town square. They departed by way of Dixie Street, then called Bowen or Lower Ferry Road, upon approach of the home guard Tallapoosa Rangers under commend of Colonel John Beall. The confederates were singing 'Dixie' as they approached. Local tradition holds that a prominent resident, H.F. Merrell, was so moved by the sight and sound that he exclaimed that the road should be renamed DIXIE STREET, the name that it bears today.
|Series||This marker is part of the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series|
|Placed By||McDaniel Curtis Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 6th, 2014 at 12:18am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 678922 N 3717035|
|Decimal Degrees||33.57803333, -85.07213333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 34.682', W 85° 4.328'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 34' 40.92" N, 85° 4' 19.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||678, 770|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 200-206 Dixie St, Carrollton GA 30117, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.