Culpeper has always depended on Mountain Run for its water. The small stream meandered through the town like so many citizens on a Sunday afternoon. But for many years, Mountain Run had a tendency to dry up during the summer months, leaving Culpeper without adequate water. During the spring and winter months, the run proceeded to flood the town and adjacent farms. Much of the flooding was so severe that the Town's power and waste water systems had to be closed. The unpredictability of the water systems had to be closed. The unpredictability of the water supply hampered Culpeper's ability to grow and attract the new businesses and industry the town needed for economic growth.
In 1954, the Town of Culpeper engaged in its most important planning project to date - the preservation and control of its water supply. Public Law 566 allowed localities to partner with the U.S. Soil and Conservation Service (SCS) to protect property from floods and water damage and to create municipal water supplies and watershed protection programs.
With help from the SCS, the Culpeper National Bank, and the Second National Bank, the Town of Culpeper decided to use the new Federal law to improve its water supply. A new entity was also formed, the Culpeper Soil Conservation District would be the basis of Culpeper's move toward a better use of Mountain Run. Soon the small stream channel was cleared and three lakes were built. Of the later, two were for food control while the third served as a water supply for the town. Today, Yowell Meadow Park is an example of the Town of Culpeper's achievements in water control. Once a continual flood hazard, Yowell Meadow Park is a safe and green environment for visitors from everywhere to enjoy.