Jack Kidwell

Jack Kidwell (HM83G)

Location: Grove City, OH 43123 Franklin County
Country: United States of America

N 39° 52.807', W 83° 13.984'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 264 views
Inscription

(1918 - 2001)

[Marker Front]:
Self-educated golfer Jack Kidwell grew up in central Ohio. From 1937 until 1971, he owned and operated the Beacon Light Golf Course, where he started as a caddie. In 1943, he married Geraldine "Jerry" Kidwell, his wife of 57 years, and had four daughters, Sally, Shirley, Kathy, and Jody. Kidwell became a Class "A" golf course superintendent and earned life membership status as a Class "A" PGA professional. His peers selected Kidwell as president of the American Society of Golf Course Architects in 1980. A member of the Ohio Turf Grass Association, he was honored as Man of the Year in 1982. His accomplishments gained him induction into the Southern Ohio PGA Hall of Fame in 1977 and the Ohio Golf Association Hall of Fame in 1997.

[Marker Reverse]:
Jack Kidwell's professional skills, personal philosophy, playing ability, and numerous achievements spanned 60 years and quietly touched countless lives in and around golf. He designed and renovated over 100 golf courses in the state of Ohio during a prolific 40-year architectural career. He was once described as the "Johnny Appleseed of golf." His courses flow with the land, were built for the average golfer, and could be enjoyed at an affordable price. His design company, Kidwell and Hurdzan, gave rise to many successful architects, evolving into Hurdzan/Fry Golf Course Design, now designing and building courses nationally and internationally. By making golf available to multitudes of golfers, Jack Kidwell helped make golf in Ohio a big business. Hickory Hills is an example of his remarkable design philosophy.

[Nearby Jack Kidwell Informational Marker]:
Jack Kidwell
Course Architect and Director of Golf
Hickory Hills Golf Club Marker
To Jack Kidwell, whose dedication and love for the game of golf has served as an inspiration to all who know him.
For his unfailing interest, determination and effort in creating Hickory Hills Golf Club and for his leadership during the clubs formative years.
For providing, through personal example, an integrity and spirit that will serve Hickory Hills Golf Club and its members in years and decades to come.
In grateful appreciation, this presentation is made May 26, 1986

[Nearby Louis G. Ruscilli Informational Marker]:
Louis G. Ruscilli
Our first president, a humble but outspoken visionary whose leadership, guidance and sage advice played a major role in the successful development of Hickory Hills from a dream into a reality.
Not one for laurels or platitudes, all he ever wanted was a great place to play golf with his friends.
It was through Louie's personal labor and direction, with the aid of Ruscilli Construction Company and the founders that he was able to build the clubhouse, original bridges and related facilities on the course we all now enjoy.
Outside of his wife Mary and family, nothing was more important to Louie than Hickory Hills Golf Club.

[Nearby Hickory Hills Golf Club Founders Informational Marker]:
Hickory Hills Golf Club is a testament to the dedication, inspiration and tenacity of its founders. Two men, Don Skipper and Jack Kidwell, played important leadership roles in guiding the founding members past the many obstacles encountered in the building of this facility and the establishment of Hickory Hills as a successful golf club. It is with much appreciation that the ongoing membership honors the founders for their vision and generosity.

Dedicated May 25, 2003

Fred Balthaser · Robert Bethel · Joe Holdrieth, Jr. · E. E. McDermitt · Harold K. Meinberg · Joseph P. Mollica · Leo L. Phillips · Richard I. Poenisch · T. J. Riley · Louis G. Ruscilli · Vincent O. Simone · Donald M. Skipper · Edwin R. Watkins
Details
HM NumberHM83G
Series This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series
Tags
Marker Number64-25
Year Placed2003
Placed ByHickory Hills Golf Club Members and The Ohio Historical Society
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 3:56pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17S E 309044 N 4416838
Decimal Degrees39.88011667, -83.23306667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 52.807', W 83° 13.984'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 52' 48.42" N, 83° 13' 59.04" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)614
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 3344-3576 Georgesville-Wrightsville Rd, Grove City OH 43123, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What historical period does the marker represent?
  2. What historical place does the marker represent?
  3. What type of marker is it?
  4. What class is the marker?
  5. What style is the marker?
  6. This marker needs at least one picture.
  7. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  8. Is the marker in the median?