Prior to the fire of 1881, this was the site of the store and barroom of A.A. Clisby (1848-1916) where the infamous Booth-Toney Shootout of 1878 occurred. (See the that marker for further information.) The present building was built in 1891 by James M. Cobb (1849-1912), a longtime Edgefield merchant. Cobb had operated a dry goods business in Edgefield as early as 1870 and continued in business well into the 20th century. Prior to 1891 his business was located next door in The Corner Store.
Israel Mukashy (1882-1964), a Jewish merchant who had emigrated from Russia in 1905, occupied this building for many years. Beginning about 1908, Mukashy worked as a peddler out of Augusta, traveling in a one-horse wagon through the Edgefield countryside selling his wares. In 1911, when he first opened his store in Edgefield, he was described as a "successful merchant of Augusta." He was originally located on the north side of Main Street and then on Park Row, before moving to this location in 1920. He sold the business in 1950, but lived on in Edgefield with his wife, Mrs. Kate R. Marcus Mukashy (ob. 1984) until his death in 1964. Much beloved in Edgefield, Mr. and Mrs. Mukashy were affectionately known as "Mr. & Mrs. Muk."
In 1950 the Mukashy Department store, was sold to Mr. Joseph Vigodsky of Greenville and was operated under the name "Carolina Sales." At that time it came under the management of Mr. Archie E. Keesley, Sr. (1926-2000). Mr. Keesley operated the store for nearly a half century until his retirement in 1999. His contributions to the Town of Edgefield during his lifetime were manifold.