Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded as early as 1804 as an affiliated branch of Bethlehem Baptist Church, was formally established in 1827. The cemetery here, dating from 1832, includes the graves of many early church families and of several veterans of the American Revolution and the Civil War.
Rev. John Gill Landrum (1810-1882), pastor here 1831-1852 and 1863-1882, also served for many years at First Baptist Church in Spartanburg and at Bethlehem, New Prospect, and Wolf Creek as well. He is buried here as is his son J.B.O. Landrum (1844-1901), physician and author of an early history of Spartanburg County.