The first bronze sculpture of Chaplain William Corby by Samuel Murray was dedicated in 1910 on the Gettysburg battlefield by Civil War veterans of the five regiments of the Union's Army Irish Brigade. His statue is on the same boulder of Cemetery Ridge where he stood to give the soldiers General Absolution on July 2, 1863, the second day of the three-day battle.
Minutes later the Irish Brigade went into action at Little Round Top and the Wheatfield. The Brigade lost 27 killed, 109 wounded, and 62 missing. Gettysburg's individual statues are of generals, except President Lincoln, Chaplain Corby, and a civilian.
This duplicate statue was dedicated here in 1911. Father Corby was President of Notre Dame twice: 1866-72, 1877-82. He planned the Grotto, finished in 1896, and died in 1897.