This greenhouse, built in 1909 to replace a smaller one, supplied the Edison household with potted plants and cut flowers year-round. The two-story potting shed, made of Edison Portland Cement, provided work space on the first floor and gardener's quarters on the second floor. A barn, screened by hemlock trees at far right, once sheltered cows, goats, chickens, and horses.
Under Mina Edison's direction, the head gardener and his assistants maintained the flower gardens, a vegetable garden, and the estate's 13½ acres of landscaped grounds. Although the garden and livestock provided some food for the Edisons, local grocers supplied most of the daily provisions, while merchants and restaurateurs from New York City furnished the delicacies for formal dinners.