The Irma Morris Museum of Fine Art
The Hagoods and the Mauldins
James E. Hagood, son of local farmer and landowner Benjamin Hagood, built this house in 1856 in the town of Pickens Court House, about 14 miles west of here. The house was moved to this site in 1868. James Hagood was among the Commissioners who established the location for the new town.
An Upcountry native, Hagood and his family lived in the house year-round from 1856 until 1873. The family relocated to Charleston after Hagood's appointment as a clerk of the U.S. Circuit Court, a position he held for 30 years. He kept the house and visited it often with his wife and their six children. Many Charleston families had a summer home in the foothills to escape the heat and threat of malaria in the Lowcountry.
The house remained within the Hagood family for nearly 100 years. Hagood passed the house on to his daughter, Francis, known as "Queen." She later married Judge T.J. Mauldin. Mauldin kept his law office in the small building to the right of the house during his career as Attorney, Judge, S.C. Legislator and Senator. "Queen" Mauldin was a social leader of the community, active in the Daughters of the American Revolution and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.