The Town That MovedThe town of Pickens was established as the center of government for the newly established Pickens District. The county was originally part of the Pickens District, today's Pickens and Oconee Counties. Its center of government, Pickens Court House, was centrally located within the Pickens District. After Pickens County was established, the town of Pickens Court House was dismantled and rebuilt here in 1868. Several of its buildings were moved, including the courthouse, a Masonic lodge, and this residence belonging to Col. J.E. Hagood. This residence is the only remaining structure in town that was moved here from old Pickens Court House.
|Series||This marker is part of the South Carolina: South Carolina Heritage Corridor series|
|Placed By||South Carolina Heritage Corridor|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 2:32am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 344140 N 3861648|
|Decimal Degrees||34.88528333, -82.70555000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 53.117', W 82° 42.333'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 53' 7.02" N, 82° 42' 19.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 104 N Lewis St, Pickens SC 29671, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.