On the night of July 15-16, 1779, Brigadier General Anthony Wayne of Pennsylvania led the American Light Infantry in a midnight assault against a British force that had occupied Stony Point. Approximately one hour later, the garrison had been captured by two American columns that had outflanked the front line defenses; the main assault column waded through the shallow waters of Haverstraw Bat on the south, while a secondary column approached around the north side of the peninsula.
In 1826, Stony Point became the site of a lighthouse built to guide ships through the narrow passage of Haverstraw Bay at the southern end of the Hudson Highlands. The lighthouse survives as the oldest on the Hudson River, and was restored and relighted in 1995.
Today at Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site, a museum with exhibits and an audiovisual program tell the story of the battle. Guided and self-guided tours, as well as musket and artillery demonstrations, 18th-century camp life activities, and numerous special events are scheduled throughout the visitor season.