A mile north, on the site of an important Appamatuck Indian village, Sir Thomas Dale established Bermuda Hundred in 1613. The hundred was a traditional English jurisdiction of one hundred families. Dale, the deputy governor and marshal of Virginia, founded an incorporated town and the first system of private land-tenure in English America there between 1611 and 1614. Bermuda Hundred was an official port of entry on the James River in the 1700's, with its own customhouse and inspectors. Benedict Arnold headquartered there briefly during the Revolutionary War. In 1864-1865, during the Civil War, the Federal Army of the James commanded by Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, had its base of operations there.