Western Terminus of the Pony ExpressThis structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850's by the B.F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo and Co., Various state officials, Sacramento Valley Railroad, and the Alta Telegraph Co. during April 1860-May 1861. The Alta Telegraph Co. and its successor, The California State Telegraph Co. were the agents here for the Central Overland Pony Express, owned and operated by the firm of Russell, Majors and Waddell. From this historic site the first Overland journey eastward of the Pony Express was begun on April 4, 1860.
|Series||This marker is part of the National Historic Landmarks series, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail series.|
|Placed By||California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission, The Sacramento County Historical Society, The California Historical Society and the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden We|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 12:22pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 630285 N 4271575|
|Decimal Degrees||38.58310000, -121.50418333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.986', W 121° 30.251'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 59.16" N, 121° 30' 15.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||415, 916, 209, 714|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1000-1002 2nd St, Sacramento CA 95814, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.