Town of YorkvilleFormerly known as Fergus's Cross Roads, later Yorkville, this county seat was established in 1785 on land originally granted to John Miller in 1767. According to Robert Mills, the town in 1826 had 8 stores, 5 taverns, a male and female academy, post office, printing office, and about 80 houses. The coming of the railroad in 1852 brought prosperity which was reflected in fine homes, public buildings, and educational institutions.
Town of YorkDuring the Reconstruction period, turmoil in this area resulted in the sending of Federal troops under Col. Lewis Merrill to Yorkville and the declaration of martial law in 1871. Merrill was stationed at nearby Roses's Hotel. During this time the agricultural economy of the area suffered greatly, but Reconstruction ended in 1876 and recovery gradually took place. In 1896 textiles came to the town, whose name was changed to York in 1915.