Kingston-Conway By 1733, Kingston Townshiphad been "marked out"in this area, and by 1737the town of Kingston wasin existence. Since manylandowners were non-residents, the townshipdid not flourish. In 1801,the town was renamedConwayborough. RobertConway had acquiredlarge landholdings inthe area, and in 1805he conveyed some 223 acresto the town. In 1883,the town name waschanged to Conway.
Robert ConwayRobert Conway came to this area from Charlestonbefore 1790. He becamea large landholderand public official,serving six termsin the South CarolinaGeneral Assembly. Hewas a veteran of theAmerican Revolution,and in 1806 succeededPeter Horry as Brigadierof the Sixth SouthCarolina Brigade.Conway died in Georgetownin 1823, at age seventy.