Pioneer HillIt was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin of this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the Boston and Newton Joint Stock Company, left Boston April 16, 1849, crossing the plains. Arriving at Sacramento, Sept. 16, 1849 he built and maintained a ford across the Mokelumne River and because of this fact his wife, Delia Hanford Locke, in 1859 named the town he layed out on his ranch.
LockefordLuther Locke, his father, was Postmaster of the first Post Office established in 1861. Dr. Locke was born in Langdon N.H. April 16, 1823, and died at Lockeford May 4, 1887.