This church, originally known as Rocky Creek Presbyterian Church, was founded in 1770 by ministers sent to upper S.C. from the Synods of New York and Philadelphia. The first church here, a frame structure, was replaced in 1815 by a larger frame church built by John and Adam Blake. This church, incorporated in 1844 was renamed Rock Presbyterian church by the S.C. Presbytery in 1845.
Rev. John McLees (d. 1882) was minister here 1847-1882 and father of Greenwood First Presbyterian Church, inactive in 1892, reorganized in 1956. This stone sanctuary, built in 1959-60, replaced the 1815 church, which had burned in 1959.