Burning the Bread BasketOn October 2, 1864, elements of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry Division under Col. William H. Powell reached this area near Luray and quickly laid waste to the Willow Grove Mill. Amanda Moore, wife of the mill's owner, later recalled, "We had the Mill, Saw Mill, barn ... and all the stabling, granary, corn crib, and everything burnt ... the barns were full of wheat and also there was a great deal in the Mill."
|Placed By||Summers-Koontz Camp #490, with the help of a grant from the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 4:38pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 720818 N 4281446|
|Decimal Degrees||38.65408333, -78.46238333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 39.245', W 78° 27.743'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 39' 14.70" N, 78° 27' 44.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 168 Stonyman Rd, Luray VA 22835, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.