Darien was the Cradle of Presbyterianism in Georgia, as the first Presbyterian Church in the colony was established by Scottish Highlanders who settled this town in January, 1736. The Scots brought with them their minister, the Rev. John McLeod, of the Isle of Skye. Immediately upon their arrival at what is now Lower Bluff, one mile East of this site, they built a Chapel for Divine Worship, and there the Rev. John McLeod preached during his ministry in Darien.
Later, the Meeting House was built about eight miles North of Darien on the Savannah road, to serve the people of St. Andrew`s Parish, at that time almost entirely Presbyterian.
In 1808 the First Presbyterian Church of Darien received its charter, and a building was erected near the center of the town. This was later burned and for a time services were held in another building in the vicinity.
A place of worship, built on this site and dedicated in January of 1876, was later destroyed by fire. the present edifice was constructed in 1900.