Historic Landmark of Agricultural EngineeringIn the Shelbyville area during the Spring of 1929, Raymore McDonald designed and developed the first commercial pick-up baler as conceived and financed by Horace Tallman and his sons, Leslie R. And Gentry L. These balers were marketed for many years by the Ann Arbor Machine Company of Shelbyville. This concept of field processing of farm forages made a significant contribution to the efficiency and economy of mechanized forage harvesting in the world's agriculture.This basic field pick-up mechanism has been used in about 1.5 million balers built in the U.S. by 1980.
|Placed By||American Society of Agricultural Engineers|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 2:36pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 345843 N 4363426|
|Decimal Degrees||39.40658333, -88.79050000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 24.395', W 88° 47.43'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 24' 23.70" N, 88° 47' 25.80" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 270-298 IL-16, Shelbyville IL 62565, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.