There were 2 demonstrations by Federal forces on Dalton, in 1864: Feb. 24-26; May 7-12. On these over-lapping fields of operation, the Burke House & spring were noted landmarks.
Feb. 25, Cruft`s & Baird`s divs. (4th & 14th A.C.), via the low ridge W., moved to outflank the Confederates at Mill Creek Gap, but were forced back. May 9, 2 divs., Schofield`s 23d A.C., were halted at S. end of ridge by Stevenson`s div., Hood`s A.C., & the artillery at Potato Hill.
The log barn at the Burke house was used as a hospital by Surg. S.G. Menzies, Med. Director, Cruft`s div., 4th A.C., Feb. 25.