This road was established pursuant to an Act passed by the Colonial Assembly April 2nd, 1770. It connected the early settlement of Queensboro, at the head of Ogeechee River navigation, with Savannah. It became one of the most important stage and post routes in the state when Louisville was the Capital. On September 16th, 1777, the State Assembly named the first Board of Commissioners for its exclusive maintenance. They were Robert Dixon, Thomas Mills, Abraham Mincey, William Blackman and John Mizell.