1851 - 1951
The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Here in Scranton, Pennsylvania was conceived and brought to successful completion the first segment of what is now the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad, on which the first train was operated October 15, 1951.
To George Whitfield Scranton (1811-1861) who more than any other person is entitled to be called the "father" of this railroad, and to all employees, past and present, whose loyalty and devotion to duty have made possible the first hundred years of service to our patrons, neighbors and friends, we dedicate this plaque on October 15, 1951.
Board of Managers
M. Hartley Dodge - William White
Roy C. Gasser - Robert G. Fuller
Paul Moore - Lewis G. Harriman
Roy F. Tomlinson - Lee P. Stack
Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. - Ralph D. Jennison
Willard F. Place - William H. Moore
Robert W. Lea - W. Paul Stillman
William White, President